No fills - anyone else out there?

DelRae
on 1/13/09 10:48 am - Green, OH
I had my Realize band placed Dec 3 and my Surgeon put me on a 6 week full liquid diet.  The last two weeks were really rough - I drank every liquid in my house - you'd be amazed what is liquid if you suck on it long enough.  So I was really excited to see my Dr. today to go on soft foods and get my first fill.  (He puts the band in empty)

But he says my weight loss is good the way it is, I'm down 26 pounds over the last 6 weeks.  But most of that was the first two weeks after surgery and weight loss now is almost nill.  He says to try the soft solids for the next month then come back and if I'm not losing weight he'll do a fill then.

It just seems strange.  I know I picked a conservative surgeon - on purpose - but wondered if anyone else went 10 weeks after surgery without a fill?  RIght now, I have no restriction. I can eat or drink anything, any amount, and feel nothing.  I can chug a full bottle of water in seconds - nothing.  I guess maybe if I can do it without restriction, they want to let me, it just seems that it would be so much easier if I had some help with feeling full faster.

The dietician today told me to start out with 1 oz of protein and see if I could get it down. I almost laughed. Then I had a whole cup of Wendy's chili - and still felt hungry, guessing I'm way over 1 ounce.

Has anyone else faced this?
Del Rae
Melanie C.
on 1/13/09 1:08 pm, edited 1/14/09 2:25 am - Inverness, FL
I get my first fill on Jan 30th.. but my doctor didnt  have me on liquids for the whole 6 weeks.. liquids for the first 2 weeks then mushie food... Im looking forward to my fill...I can also drink anything down and have no restriction.. If I could have done it without the fill then I would have done it without the surgery..my doctor asked me if I want a fill when I come in for my 6 week checkup and I said yes... so he scheduled it...Good Luck...
newcynthia2009
on 1/13/09 1:41 pm
Wow! I was only on full liquid for two weeks, then pudding texture for two weeks, then tiny bites to practically anything now and I was only banded on 11/25. I had a fill at five weeks and will go in for another on 01/28.
I can not belive how different everyones guidelines are.
Going i to this I thought there would be a universal standard, but I guess not.

Even after the fill I can eat anything so I am hoping for the best at the next fill.

Hang in there.
carolw1229
on 1/14/09 12:20 am
VSG on 10/18/17
6 weeks of a liquid diet! WOW! That is a long time. I was on liquids for 2 weeks. There is so much variety in doctor orders-it amazes me. Your weight loss has been great, though. Yesterday was my first fill with my Realize Band. My surgery was 12-10 so this is about 5 weeks.  My surgeon was in the room, but all the work was done by the radiologist at the hospital. It went well and it was neat to see the port and band on the screen. I did get a numbing injection first and it really never hurt at all. I had 4cc put in my 9cc band.  I drank some barium soution to be sure I could get it down  and  then I was on my way and back to work. I now have to keep a mark on my abdomen with a Sharpie of where the needle went in so my surgeon can find it next time! This morning I felt a little tight, like so many of you have said, so I drank a warm protein latte and it went down great! Now I will see how the restriction feels. I am glad to be on my way.
Carol
clovett
on 1/14/09 2:42 am - farmingdale, NJ
Hello, i just got my first fill of 4cc last week and still waiting for restriction.  I waiting for 8 weeks to get my first fill, and still don't have restriction. A few people say you might not fill restriction till your third fill. Not eating as much as i did, but still can eat more than 4 oz. God BLess!
[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcA3oBn/]
[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wcA3oBn/weight.png[/image]
[/link]

RackeSRN
on 1/14/09 6:44 am - Florence, KY
WHAT??????  Why does he think you had the surgery if you can't use the tool?   Yes, you are right, surgeons and protocols are all different; but I went through this to get a tool I needed to help me with portion control and remind me when I start to overdo it....I didn't go through it to have internal belly jewelry.  I, like most had about 2 weeks liquids, then mushies then softs.  I had mine 11/12 and have had 3 fills, asked for them and got them.  I really ...just with this 3rd fill feel some restriction and my surgeon thinks you NEED to feel what it is like so you know when you are pushing the limit.  We didn't get here because we could go without...
bornagain3
on 1/14/09 9:56 am - Scottsville, VA
It really took 3 fills before I felt any restriction.

Jeane
Let_It_Be_Becky
on 1/14/09 1:48 pm
Scheduled for first fill on 2/3...surgery date 12/23/08.  no restriction at all.  only on liquids for first 4 days (including surgery date) - then soft proteins.  not losing much weight at all.  A little disappointed and thinking that i am doing something wrong.  lost 30 lbs before surgery...gained 11 lbs (fluids) during hospital stay - and am down 16 lbs from there ... Ugh!

Becky
auntennie13
on 1/15/09 3:50 am

It has been 6 months since my Band surgery and I still have not be filled yet.  However, I expect to get a small fill at my appointment next week. 

Don't rush getting a fill.  My doc advised me that my weight loss was right on track with averaging 1-2 pounds lost per week, so he recommended not getting a fill.  I have experienced no nausea or vomiting, so I'm content with having gone 6 months without a fill.  I am able to eat 4-5 ounces per meal.

Since my weight has been stagnant for a good 3 weeks, I now know that it's time for a fill. 

Yes, it is possible to go longer than 6 weeks without a fill.  I made it 6 months!  (and lost 50 pounds since surgery!)

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Livewell
on 1/17/09 12:14 am - Chatham, NJ
I had my surgery on Dec 9th and, other than my 2wk post op visit, will not even have a chance to see my do****il Feb 12th.  He only does fills under floro, so I know that I will not be getting a fill then.  Also, at my 2 wk, the doc was pleased with my weight loss, so he indicated that I could probably go as far as 3 months without a fill. 

I was very disappointed at first, but now I realize that I can just use this time to try to do things on my own anyway.  I am one of the lucky ones where I do feel a sensation when I eat more than 1 cup of food, so that really helps.

I know that it is really hard, but you can do it even without a fill.  It just may not be as easy.

Good luck!

Most Active